Wednesday 6 February 2013

Other Voices, In Their Own Words - Best Boy Grip

Is it Neil Hannon? Is it Paul McCartney? Not quite, but he's been likened to both... Eoin O'Callaghan, aka Best Boy Grip, enters the spotlight for the second of our special Other Voices interviews



With the release of a new EP, countless television appearances, Sons & Daughters and now Other Voices, how do you feel the City Of Culture Year has gone for you so far?

Well, January has been one of my most productive months since I launched as Best Boy Grip.  I've had the privilege of taking part in the BBC Sons and Daughters event, as you mentioned, and I felt very proud to be on the bill. I've semi-released my second EP, The Clerk; with an iTunes release and physical copies imminent.  I've had a slot on the BBC Arts Show and received very positive and greatly appreciated feedback. And I've enjoyed some airplay from the very kind BBC Radio Ulster and BBC Radio Foyle teams.

How did you get involved in Other Voices?

Other Voices got in contact with me and asked if I would take part in Other Voices/Other Room. They explained the setup and how it would be broadcast alongside the Other Voices Live show.  As you can imagine, I jumped at the chance.

How do you feel your songwriting and performing abilities have developed throughout the last year?

I feel that I have definitely grown in confidence as a performer and I'm enjoying experimenting with different arrangements.

What will you look forward to most about performing at Other Voices this year?

Sitting at home and watching it on TV! It's a real privilege to be on the bill. It's really great PR and I'm so happy to be a part of it. 

Who else would you recommend to audiences at Other Voices?

I can't really recommend any one act - but anybody who gets to see Neil Hannon, Bronagh Gallagher or SOAK is in for a real treat!  There is plenty going on in the city that people will all be able to check out for free. The Other Voices Trail is bursting at the seams with local talent. In fact, why not come along and check out Best Boy Grip with a full band, including brass section, in Tinney's on Friday night. It should be a great night!


Best Boy Grip will be performing at Tinney's Bar, Derry-Londonderry, at around 11.30 pm on Friday February 8. For more information on Other Voices, check out the official site or follow Other Voices on Facebook.

0 comments: